Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Behavior Ladder

Thanks to those who gave their input about the blog and what you would like to see more of. Most of you like the way it is, a little bit of everything, but a close second came crafts and some tutorials. I have an actual list of crafts and I'm going to try my darnedest to post more crafts!
But for today it's a tutorial :)

I got the idea for this next craftish thing from my friend Mindy...I would post the post, but she has a private blog (Mind...you need to post this on your craft blog...Twisted Copy Cat)

If your like me you have tried EVERYTHING as far as discipline techniques for those beautiful blessings (with some sarcasm behind that if I was saying it outloud) we call our children. I thought I would give this a try. I'm gonna call mine the "Behavior Ladder"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

First find the cutest scrapbook paper you can...I LOVE My Mind's Eye!
I used about 8 - 3 1/2" X 5" rectangle pieces. And wrapped them around a yard stick.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

like so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Taping it in the back with clear tape.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I lined up the paper to the hole at the end of the yard stick and use a hole punch and add a ribbon loop and some cute ribbons to be able to hang it somewhere.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Next I added a little strip of ribbon where each new paper met.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I wrote my kiddos name on separate clothes pins.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And added the behavior actions.
Here's what I put starting with the bottom which is obvious...
Needs serious work
Not listening
Try a little harder please
Good job! Keep it up!
You've almost got it.
WAY TO GO!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The finished product.

I told my kids that if they can stay at the Good job! Keep it up! or higher everyday for a week, at the end of the week we will go to the dollar store (which they think is the coolest place on earth next to Disney World :) Hopefully this will work for us!

What do you do as far as behavior or discipline techniques in your home?

Linkin up at these lovely places


Show and Tell Green Life in the Pitts  http://www.thethriftyhome.com Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party! Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!! I'm going to make one for my kids.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Great idea! I hope it works!

MindyMindy said...

Wow Beck!!! Yours is even CUTER!!! I love it. Our stick BROKE when one of my friends tried whipping her hubby with it. lol. LONG STORY. :)
I have been meaning to glue it back. My boys loved this stick and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!
Love ya

Melanie said...

Cute idea and such darling paper. This actually looks like something I could make. Maybe I should try and something that could keep those kids in line. I hear ya about the dollar store. It is the best thing in the world next to disney land for a kid.

Anonymous said...

you are an answer to my prayers! i had seen a similar idea a couple of months ago and spent an hour the other day googling for it and searching my bookmarks before finally giving up. then voila; here it is! thank you SO much! off to actually read the entire post now!

Tara said...

Following from new friend Friday.

extreme personal measures said...

Stopping by from The Girl Creative’s New Friend Friday. I am your newest follower. Great idea!

Leslie said...

I love this idea! I am stopping by from tater tots and jello's weekend party.

restlessrisa said...

That is such a fun idea! I need one for my son. I am already thinking about what paper I want to use! :) Stopping by from Tater tots and Jello.

<3

Risa

christy mack said...

such a clever idea! my daughter's nearly grown, but I could see using this to meet personal goals.

found u through tater tots n jello..so glad i did!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Very good idea and cute too!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Oh, I like this idea a lot! I am going to have to do this one. I love rewarding good behavior, and needed to find a way to go about it. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings!
-Sarah

Abigail said...

I've been looking for some behaviour management strategies for my new Saturday class - we really need to work on listening! This one looks like a great idea :D

lol, I remember how blown away my neice was when my sister took her to Poundland and told her she could choose any one thing in the shop!

StrusaD said...

I was explaining how this works to my 4yo. when I said "they can earn a trip to the dollar store to buy a toy." Smiled and said, "Oooooo!!" Very excited! Think I may have to try this!