Monday, March 19, 2012

Interview your kids

I have noticed with having four kids that life quickly unravels and you lose every sense of being somewhat organized and on "top of things".  At least in my case anyway.  If you don't feel this way anytime, ever, please let me know your secrets :)  Mostly I feel like I have lost touch with my kids.  You know, new babies require A LOT of attention and at the end of the day leaves my poor family with, a worn out, grouchy, super tired, extremely frightening looking mom and wife (lucky them)  I am determined to not let my "Evil Psycho Mom" alter ego take over :)  Ok, no need to alert the police, I really am not THAT bad, but we could always be better right?
 With all this rambling being said I have decided to do interviews with my kids once a week.  Once I tuck their cute little selves into bed, I will sit and ask them a few of these questions...

1. Tell me the five best things about you…
2. What does the word "success" mean to you?
3. Why do kids put rings in their eyebrows and nose?
4. If you could tell me never to serve two vegetables again, which two would you choose?
5. Who do you think I'd rather you be: an NBA ballplayer, the mayor, a famous explorer, or a movie star? Why?
6. Which of your friends do you think I like the most? Why?
7. On a scale of one to nine – one being not at all and nine being totally – how strict do you think I am? Where on the scale would you like me to be? (Parents: you can draw this on paper to make it easier for smaller children.)
8. What would be the ideal allowance? Tell me how you would use it.
9. Who was the worst teacher you ever had? Tell me why.
10. What would the ideal teacher be like?
11. If you had to have one of these, which would pick – and why? Really long nose hairs, hair in your ears, hair above your lip, massively hairy armpits!
12. How much privacy would you like? What time of the day would you like to be alone, and why?
13. Which one of our friends is the funniest looking? Why?
14. If you could arrange it, what time would I come home from work? Then, what would we do together?
15. Can you think of any clothes that I should never put on again? Why?
16. Do you think I drink too much? Have I ever embarrassed you that way?
17. Which of the following choices do you think would be best, and why?
  1. Dinner with everyone at the table and the TV on with your favorite program
  2. Dinner in which everybody took what they wanted from the fridge and no one had the same thing
  3. Dinner with the whole family together and no TV on
18. If a genie would give you only one wish, which would you pick, and why?
  1. being world-class attractive
  2. being a genius
  3. being famous for doing something great
19. If you are feeling sad, what meal that I could make or order would be the one that would cheer you up?
20. Are you afraid when we fly?
21. Tell me who you think are the three greatest musicians in the world? Why?
22. What punishment have I given you that you thought was really unfair? Why?
23. If you could change three things about yourself, what would they be?
24. At what age do you think a child ought to be tried as an adult if he has hurt someone very badly? Why?
25. If you could have your room anyway you wanted, how would you want it to look?

I really am looking forward to this and getting to really KNOW my kids!  I think having these simple, open conversations will really teach them that they can talk to me anytime, anyplace about anything.  That's my hope anyway.  They are not teenagers yet so.... lol.  There is a total of 100 questions and I will be posting them later on at different times.  

I would love to know what ideas you all do to connect with your kids....please share in the comments!
Have a wonderful Monday!


1 comment:

Paula Schuck said...

I do a lot of different things to connect with my kids. This is a great idea! I like it. I would only ask one or two questions though. My kids wouldn't sit for too many. Anyways, I read out loud to them most nights still. I also cook with them a lot. They love it and it is a regular segment on my Thursday Cooking With Kids linky.

Paula
@inkscrblr
thriftymommastips